Our family took its first trip to Table Rock over Fourth of July weekend three years ago, before we moved to South Carolina. It was such a great trip we still remember as a family, and now that we call South Carolina home, we love that it is practically in our backyard.
It just so happened we had a Saturday with no plans, so today we enjoyed an old favorite with some new friends. These are the things we love most about Table Rock:
- We pass a boiled peanut vendor on our way up. What is a trip to the mountains in the South without boiled peanuts?
- There is a nature center found at the base of the mountain. My kids love to “talk nature” with the park ranger on duty about the various critters they saw and caught every time we go.
- Not very far on Carrick Creek Nature Trail you come to a pool and waterfall. This is an incredible spot that we have literally spent hours enjoying. We are not the only one who find it to be a favorite, so to avoid the crowds, we try to come early in the day.
- During the summer months the lakefront is open. This life guarded swimming area has a high dive, which my boys were dying to try this year. Not having the time, or the extra admission that affords prime “beach” real estate, we will have to test their bravery on our next trip.
- There are great hiking trails, including the Table Rock Trail which has an incredible view, so I am told. We never seem to have enough bribery snacks to make it very far, but the hiking we have gotten to do there has been great.
What makes a great weekend “go-to” for you?